We are so grateful for how the Lord has held us in this season, and for all He is doing in this nation and in our lives too.
In our last newsletter, we talked about the region we were assigned just outside of our city for follow-ups with people who had received Bibles. We’ve ‘caught up’ in reaching out to those in that area that are interested now, and consequently were given not just one, but two more neighborhoods to follow up with. We have found partnering with this ministry to be very fruitful, and the conversations with those that we are meeting and discipling have been pretty encouraging. Dave has been meeting recently with a guy named Eric*—one of our new contacts, who’s been really enjoying the Bible studies and the relationship.
Another exciting development in the last 6 weeks has transpired and we could not be more thrilled about it. Our pastor, who is a local believer, has asked us to spearhead an outreach team from the church in partnership with the same organization we have been doing follow-ups with. As a result, the church received FOUR new neighbourhoods in our mega city for follow up and we have been busy raising up and training a team for the work. We are so excited about what God is going to do, and we are thrilled that so many from the church have already faithfully started the work.
The outreach/mobilization organization that Erin is a part of here has also made some inroads as well. She is busy planning courses for the fall, teams for facilitating, partners, and translation options for the local language. The Lord has really moved among the large diaspora here, and we are so thankful for how God has been using these courses in our nation and the Middle East. We are continuing to pray that the work will bear fruit among the people.
One of our friends and neighbors, Sam*, has been meeting Dave regularly for coffee and to hang out. We have been doing life together with their family for some time, slowly building a friendship over the last 4.5 years. Recently, Sam* came to Dave for coffee with a ton of spiritual questions and asked him straight out for a Bible. We are thankful for the spiritual hunger and are praying that God will do a good work in their lives.
The last couple of months have proven to be a very busy season for our family, yet despite the busyness, we have seen threads of grace woven throughout our lives.
A couple of weeks ago, Erin had the privilege to join J on a school field trip to the capital city. We left our city with a bus full of 55 people at 2:30 in the morning and spent the entire day touring, learning history and culture, and eating together. It was a jam-packed day and so many beautiful new memories were made.
J celebrated his 11th birthday a whole month early this year. We are headed to Canada next week for three months and he wanted to celebrate with his friends before we left. On Saturday, 14 friends came from school and some friends from church as well. J had a blast, of course, what with the piñata, all the food, and the games. It’s pretty safe to say that there was complete chaos at our house for a few hours. After school on Monday J came home with some big stories. The teacher told the children they could have a special reward because of their class marks on the national exam—and the children voted to go to J’s house for a field trip! Apparently, the teacher finally convinced the kids that they could watch a movie and order KFC instead.
1. Dave’s residency permit was just successfully approved again. The restrictions are tightening, so we are thankful that everything went smoothly.
2. All the new open doors for ministry and the growth that is happening with our follow-ups.
3. J had a difficult start to the school year, but we are so grateful that he is growing in his studies and building closer friendships.
Our Prayer Requests…
1. The anointing of the Holy Spirit as we share both our testimonies and the gospel. Please pray for hearts to be softened and eyes opened to the good news of Jesus Christ.
2. The new believers that are growing in the Lord—and us too as we try to faithfully love and disciple them.
3. Our friend Sam* and his family.
4. Those that are still seeking, especially Eric*
5. God’s hand of protection over our family, especially our health in this season.
6. Safe travels back to and in Canada this summer, we will spend 3 months there. J is a little nervous, with lots of big feelings. He is excited to finally go but is also torn about missing life here, especially playing in the National Hockey Championships. It has been nearly three years since he was last in Canada, and he is hoping he remembers how to be Canadian!
Many blessings to you and yours!
Lots of love,